Andaspain’s Fresh Asian Salad Recipe
This is by far one of our favourite, fresh salads to make for our gourmet Camino de Santiago picnics. We often add roasted or grilled chicken; or you can simply put the chicken to the side for those who want to add it. This recipe makes about 4 servings. Multiple the quantities as needed for your group size.
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 red pepper grated
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh unsalted peanuts
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar if you can’t get rice wine, which is sometimes the case on the Camino!)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 small white onion or 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 3 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1.5 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor (yes, we have one stored away in our van, Bruce!). Add water, about 1.5 tbsp. Blend until smooth and until you have your desired consistency.
- In a large salad bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the peanuts. Right before serving, add the dressing and toss in peanuts. Save some peanuts to garnish on the top.
We enjoy with our home-made white wine Sangria!