Summer is in full effect and it is getting hotter here on the Camino de Santiago. We know this year continues to be more challenging for many, so we are sharing another one of our simple, fresh salads we prepare for our pilgrims on our fully-guided Camino de Santiago Tours. This will be a great, healthy addition to your summer salad recipes! This recipe makes about 8 servings.
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 1 large head of broccoli (or broccoli slaw if available)
- 3 cups kale
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts
Ingredients for the Dressing:
- 2/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt ot taste
- Shred the broccoli head with a cheese grater (if you do not have the slaw available). You can use parts of the stalk if it is not too tough.
- With a peeler, peel the outer layer of your carrots. Continue with the peeler and peel the carrots for small strips for the salad. (Or use pre-prepared shredded carrots.)
- Chop the kale, very finely, removing any hard sticks and trying to only use the leaves.
- Chop some of the walnuts for smaller pieces.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients and mix well.
- In a large bowl combine the broccoli slaw, kale, carrots, cranberries and chopped walnuts.
- Pour the dressing over and mix well. Add salt to taste. We often like to let the dressing sit on the salad in the refrigerator to allow the raw veggies to absorb the dressing. Remix if serving later and add a few fresh cranberries/walnuts to the top.