This is our most requested recipe from our Camino de Santiago picnics. It is super easy easy and provides a lot of nutrients and energy to keep you walking throughout the day.
The Mediterranean Cous Cous Salad has Halloumi cheese, a semi-hard, unripened, brined cheese from Cyprus made from a mixture of sheep and goat milk. Feel free to increase the amount of sweet potatoes, Halloumi cheese and/or rocket based on your preference! This recipe serves about 4-6.
Ingredients for salad:
- 2 Large sweet potatoes
- 1 package of Halloumi
- 1/2 box couscous prepared as stated
- 2 bags rocket
Ingredients for dressing:
- 2 lemons juiced
- Equal parts olive oil as lemon juice
- 3 hot dried red peppers
- Pinch of salt
- Mix equal parts lemon and oil in a jar. Drop in the 3 hot dried red peppers and pinch of salt. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into small cubes. Sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven until golden.
- Slice the halloumi into ½cm/¼in thick slices. Heat a dry frying pan over a medium heat, then add the cheese. Allow to toast for 2–3 minutes, or until the halloumi is golden-brown. Flip and repeat on the other side. Once cooled slightly, cut into smaller cubes.
- Prepare the Couscous as the package recommends.
- Once all items are cooked, mix the couscous, halloumi and sweet potatoes in large bowl.
- Gently add in the rocket.
- When ready to serve, remove the peppers from the dressing jar. Shake well and pour over the salad. Mix well.
On our Fully-Guided Camino Tours, we usually enjoy our Mediterranean Cous Cous Salad with a chick-pea hummus with breadsticks and a Summer Mint Berry Salad!